The SMR hip revision stem is a modular system designed for prosthesis replacement in cases of serious bone loss (“Società italiana riprotesizzazione-GIR” grades II, III and IV and Paprosky grades II and III).With over 20 years of clinical history, the femoral implant consists of three elements: a proximal component, a distal component and locking screw.
The SMR stem allows customized reconstructions thanks to the wide range of modular combinations.
- The modular proximal component solves the problem of restoring the physiological length of the limb and stabilizing the joint thanks to its four lengths 40, 50, 60 and 70mm and two CCD angles 125° and 135°.
- The mirror polished neck area has been studied to decrease polyethylene wear during flexion. In addition, the mirror finish eliminates the risk of fatigue cracks.
- The distal component is conical and has longitudinal fins, this prosthesis design guarantees axial stability and resistance to torsional forces at the same time;
- The modular design has four lengths (100, 160, 200 and 240 mm) and ten diameters (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 24 mm);
- The 200 e 240 mm distal components have a 3°anatomical pro-curvature to avoid point effects on the cortical;
- The distal portion has three holes placed radially at 120° for cortical screws to be used in the rare cases they are needed.
- The two components are assembled using a “Morse taper” 2°51’ so that the proximal component can be turned into position with the anteversion required by the surgeon. The system delivers continuous 360° rotation;
- The locking screw is used to hold the “Morse taper” cone in place but does not have a sealing effect, as it is the coupling of the two tapers that guarantees the seal over time. The screw has a cross bolt made of polyethylene to prevent loosening
SMR & SMR Resection
The SMR stem allows customized reconstructions thanks to the wide range of modular combinations. The distal component of the SMR revision stem is also used in coupling with the proximal component of the SMR Resection modular resection stem. The surgeon has thus the possibility of using cemented or uncemented distal components for both SMR and SMR Resection, with different indications.
Titanium alloy Ti 6Al 4V Grade 5 ELI, which ensures excellent bio-compatibility and mechanical strength. The surface finish is obtained by abrasion with corundum to increase the contact surface and thereby improve prosthesis-bone anchorage